Did you see the Space shuttle Friday?

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hello friends! Hope you've had a great week so far. Mine was pretty busy as you can see since I have not posted since last Sunday. I feel so overwhelmed with Lily's new school schedule, getting Zalie to her two classes this past week and keeping up with what Scott has going on in band. Oh and not to mention seeing the Space Shuttle land near our home Friday at LAX. Here's some pics from that historic event.

 

There were so many people that came out to see the shuttle and every local news channel van you could think of. Here's the scene we saw walking up Imperial to the plane spot.

 

I love that our flag flies at the plane spot. I've talked about it before but we take our kids there on a pretty regular basis to check out the planes. We usually grab Subway and hang out eating our food while Mat tells us what each model of the planes are as they take off over the ocean. 

 

When the Shuttle landed it taxied over to the United hanger where they planned to remove it from the Nasa plane and prepare it for the Oct 13 move to the museum. Lily missed the event due to school but after we picked her up we drove up to the top of Imperial to give her a look at the Shuttle.

 























She really enjoyed checking out the Shuttle and thought it was pretty cool. You know most kids today really don't get the whole Space Shuttle nostalgia. The first space shuttle, 

Columbia was launched on April 12, 1981. I remember watching the launch on TV and being mesmerized by the fact that real people were heading into outer space.

I also will never forget watching the Challenger launch in my math class on January 28th 1986. I was 15 and I remember everyone gasping out loud when after all the anticipation of the shuttle taking off, Challenger suddenly turned into a big smoke plume and then they were gone. The room was so silent and my teacher's face was just blank.

We will never forget the brave men and women that were lost aboard Challenger that day. They continue to inspire us to dream big dreams.


I'm so glad that we had the opportunity to see the shuttle. I hope you had the opportunity to see it too!

I hope to see Endeavour make it's way to the California Science Museum in October. It's going to be pretty cool watching it roll down La Tijera Blvd in the middle of the day.

Have a great weekend!







No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs